Basildon Road

By Nina Humphrey(née Burton)

Basildon Road used to stretch from behind St Nicholas Church eastward as far as Pipps Hill Road.  There were many dwellings and a shop or two along the way.  Uppermayne was built south to north, straight across it, cutting it almost in half and the eastern side became the No 2 Industrial Estate. Basildon Road to the west of Uppermayne is now the only part of the road that remains.

With the aid of the 1949 Survey and a few old photographs, we can recall how the road had looked pre the 1960s.  There were bungalows but also some very large, well built substantial houses, a feature of which appears to have been a double pitched roof.

Listed below are some of the names of dwellings as recorded on the 1949 Survey and Electoral Register.  Aroma, Lyndhurst, Raymondville, Mendora, Orchard View, Westbury, Uplands, June, Ellesmere, Longleat, Lansdowen, Basilcroft, Petit-Fleur, Margareta, Lillie Dene, Lynton, The Limes, Hollybank, Rosedale, Beecroft, The Ferns, St. Petres, Laindon Park Post Office, St. Paul, Rose House Farm, Elm Farm House, Alpha, Beta, Sunnypatch, Miraflores, St. Stephens, Hawthorns, Shangri-La, Merion, Springfield, Tanglewood, Woodberry, Burnside, Corinth, Sunnycroft, Endymion, Hunts Farm, Forest Lodge, Cleeve Cottage, Redcliffe, Totnes, Homester, Lauramay, Aberdour, Clydeville, Killarney, The Burrs, Clovelly, Swanscombe, St. Aybyns, Ingleside, St. Olaves, Woodville, Abergavenny, The Lawns, The Hermitage, Chase Side, Glenthorne, Ivedene, Pekewood, Hazeldene, Sherwood, Cranbrook, Woodbine, Holmwood, Trossacks, Whitemay, Essex Country Club, Homeland, Aureate, Beltona and School House.

Most of the remaining part of Basildon Road now consists of new builds; however on a recent visit we noticed that two original bungalows still remain – Mendora and June.

Please click on the pictures to enlarge.

Photo:1906. Laindon Park Post Office in Basildon Road.  The Ferns on the left.

1906. Laindon Park Post Office in Basildon Road. The Ferns on the left.

Photo:North side of Basildon Road - undated. Thought to be 1910/1920s. Laindon Park Post Office on the right. Then going left,  St Petres, The Ferns, Beechcroft, Rosedale and lastly Hollybank which appears to be facing the front gardens of the other bungalows.

North side of Basildon Road - undated. Thought to be 1910/1920s. Laindon Park Post Office on the right. Then going left, St Petres, The Ferns, Beechcroft, Rosedale and lastly Hollybank which appears to be facing the front gardens of the other bungalows.

Photo:No. 48 - Laindon Park Post Office. No. 47 - St. Petres.  No. 46 - The Ferns. No. 45 - Beechcroft.  No. 44 - Rosedale.  No. 43 - part of Hollybank. No. 42 - Hollybank.

No. 48 - Laindon Park Post Office. No. 47 - St. Petres. No. 46 - The Ferns. No. 45 - Beechcroft. No. 44 - Rosedale. No. 43 - part of Hollybank. No. 42 - Hollybank.

BDC 1949 Survey

Photo:South side of Basildon Road - undated. From the left, Aberdour, Clydeville, Killarney, The Burrs and Clovelly.

South side of Basildon Road - undated. From the left, Aberdour, Clydeville, Killarney, The Burrs and Clovelly.

Photo:The junction with Uppermayne.

The junction with Uppermayne.

Nina Humphrey

This page was added by Nina Humphrey(née Burton) on 30/05/2015.
Comments about this page (Add a comment about this page)

The five houses following Aberbour in the photograph were 'Clydeville', 'Killarney', 'The Burrs', 'Clovelly' and Swanscombe'.

By Nina Humphrey(née Burton)
On 25/11/2015

First house on the left (white window frames) is Aberdour.  No. 69 on the map.  Owners were Mr and Mrs James Judd, late 1940s to mid 1950s.

Grandson of Mr and Mrs Judd.NM

By James Judd
On 24/11/2015
Add a comment about this page

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.